Welcome back to a new school year and a special welcome to all those who are just starting on their journey with us. The buildings have been a hive of energy, excitement and smiling faces as the term gets underway.
A new year always heralds new staff. We are pleased to welcome Elizabeth Bradley, Claire Connors, Dominic Fiveash, Gerald Frackowiak, Robynne Jacobs, Colin King, Anne-Sophie LeMat, Barbara Simpson and Andrea Theoharous to the Common Room. We also have a new school secretary, Miss Tammay Bennett. I am sure that when you meet them you will make them all feel most welcome.
As the term begins to settle down we look forward to meeting all of you at the various Social Evenings over the next few weeks in Founders’ Hall Radnor Walk 6.30-8.00pm. These are evenings for you to meet your child’s tutors informally over a glass of wine and so your children are not expected to accompany you.
- Tuesday 13 September Small School
- Wednesday 14 September Lower School
- Tuesday 20 September Middle School
- Tuesday 27 September Upper Kappa & Delta
- Thursday 29 September Upper Alpha, Beta & Gamma
- Tuesday 4 October Senior School & Transitus
The year ahead is filled with many exciting thing to look forward to. This term sees the 50th anniversary of the opening of the chalet in Glion. The first of the Common Entrance Geography courses leaves in just under three weeks time.
We have invested in a new data management system called iSAMS to bring all our various data and information into one place. It is one of, if not the leading system, in the country. In the long run it should make the growing administrative workload smoother and more efficient. As with all new computer systems there will be teething problems that will need to be ironed out over time, along with getting used to the system and so using it to its full potential. I would ask that you bear with us as we all get up to speed on this.
You may well have seen that our website has also had a complete redesign. It is now compatible to view on all sizes of device. There will be further developments to the site over time and should become the place to visit for all the questions you might have about dates, fixtures, going home times etc.
If you have not done so already this term, please fill out the Pupil Information Sheet on the new website. We appreciate that this is a time-consuming process particularly for those of you with more than one child and/or if no details have changed. We very much hope that this will be the last time you will need to do this as the new system is so much more sophisticated than our old one. The permissions that you grant will cover the full length of time your child is in the school and not annually as before. You will, of course, be able to change these details at any time in the future if you wish to.
This Monday, 5 September, is the annual Music Day. All pupils from Middle School upwards will be introduced to all the instruments available to them by the music staff and get the opportunity to try as many of them as they like. If they would like to take up an instrument they will be given a form that needs to be filled out at home and returned to the music department as soon as possible. If your child was learning an instrument(s) last year this form must still be filled in to remain in the system. Individual lessons will begin in the week of 12th September and ensembles the week after.
Two polite reminders.
- No camera phones are allowed. Only children in Main School may bring a simple phone with them to school to be deposited in the front office at the beginning the day and collected as they go home. Any pupil found with a phone during the day will receive a detention. If a camera phone is brought to school it will only be returned to a parent and not a pupil.
- Cadogan Gardens one way traffic system. Please adhere to our one way system when dropping off and collecting your children. Please only leave your car if it is parked legally. There are several members of staff on duty both in the morning and at the end of the day to help with the traffic. If there is a build up of traffic it may be necessary to make a circuit of the gardens while your child is called from their waiting area inside the building.