The school’s founders Colonel and Mrs Townend wanted something different from the conventional school uniforms of the 1950s. Mrs Townend said “a grey uniform produces grey minds” and thus chose the classic three buttoned blazer and school cap to be in rust with matching rust shorts. The iconic knee-breeches introduced later were modelled on the Colonel’s climbing breeches. The uniform has developed over the school’s sixty year history and no longer includes the blazer or cap, but has been designed to be all purpose and suitable for active wear. Children can move from the classroom to the sports field without having to change clothes.
All new uniform items are to be bought from Billings & Edmonds, who are the sole official supplier. No other retailer/business has been authorised to sell new Hill House school uniforms. All the prices listed below are correct as of 1st February 2017.
Billings & Edmonds Service
- In store: Chiswick Store, 112 Chiswick High Road, W4 1PU (Monday to Friday 9.30am–5.30pm, Saturday 9.30am–5pm).
- Telephone: Telephone the Chiswick store with your orders or queries on 020 8742 0201.
- Email: Any queries and orders can made by emailing the Chiswick store directly.
- Website: All items of uniform and sportswear may be purchased online. Prices and garment information are available on the Billings & Edmonds website.
- Collect at Hill House: Either order online and select appropriate delivery option or telephone the Chiswick store with your order and this will then be delivered to Hill House for you to collect.
- In store by appointment: An appointment service for new children is offered during June and up until 17th July at the Chiswick store.
Uniform Open Days
Hill House Founders’ Hall
Billings & Edmonds, in conjunction with Hill House, will hold School Uniform Open Days at Founders’ Hall, 2 Radnor Walk, London, SW3 4BN. This is an opportunity to meet the B&E team, have a fitting and purchase any new uniform items.
Saturday 24 June 2017, 10.30am–2.00pm – This day is open to all parents but is particularly aimed at those starting Hill House in September.
For a fitting please book a Timed Slot, otherwise just drop in. Please email the Chiswick shop or call them on 020 8742 0201. Please note that there may be a reduced service in store on this day
All Year Uniform Items
|Waxed Jacket||Brown/Brown Lining||Waterproof. Worn to and from school.||From £90.00||B&E|
|Rain Jacket||Brown/Brown Lining||Waterproof. Worn to and from school.||From £32.00||B&E|
|Sweater||Gold||Wool Open Knit. Worn in the street and at games.||From £44.50||B&E|
|Pullover – Sleeveless||Beige, with Rust Trim||Worn in school for lessons||From £38.50||B&E|
|Cravat||Gold/Rust||Compulsory for Middle School and above. Not required for Small & Lower School. Worn every day, always when out in the street. Worn for General Assembly on Wednesday morning.||£13.95||B&E|
|Belt||Yellow/Brown||Worn by all children with breeches and shorts||£5.95||B&E|
|Polo Shirt||Beige, with Rust Trim||Long Sleeve||£16.95||B&E|
|Breeches||Rust||Corduroy, Knee Length for Boys & Girls||From £49.50||B&E|
|Culottes||Rust||Corduroy – Girls alternative to Breeches||From £39.95||B&E|
|Pinafore Dress||Rust||Corduroy – Girls alternative to Breeches (Small, Lower & Middle Schools only)||From £49.50||B&E|
|Socks||Beige, with Rust Trim||Long – Cotton rich||£7.95||B&E|
|Tights||Beige||May only be worn with the Pinafore Dress or Culottes||£10.95 (2 pairs)||B&E|
Additional Winter Uniform
|Bobble Hat||Gold, with Rust Trim||Wool mix – Worn in Small, Lower and Middle School||£15.95||B&E|
|Hat||Gold, with Rust Trim||Wool mix – An alternative for Upper School and above||£13.95||B&E|
|Scarf||Gold, Rust & Beige||Striped – Wool mix||£19.95||B&E|
|Polo Shirt||Beige||Short Sleeves, with Rust Trim||£14.95||B&E|
|Shorts||Rust||Knee length for Boys & Girls||From £24.50||B&E|
|Skirts||Rust||Girls alternative to Shorts||From £29.50||B&E|
|Socks||Beige||Ankle, with Rust Trim – Cotton rich||£5.50||B&E|
|Shoes||Brown (Dark Tan, Chestnut)||Regular smooth leather. Must have black or dark brown Rubber Soles and fasten with Laces or a Buckle or for younger children with Velcro. The following styles are NOT allowed: shoes in light brown or light tan, suede, ankle boots, deck/boat shoes, loafers, trainer style shoes||*|
|Gym Shoes||Black or White||Plimsolls, simple slip-on style for Small, Lower & Middle Schools||*|
|Trainers||White||Middle School and above||*|
|Tennis Shoes||White||With a non marking sole. For Upper School Alpha, Beta & Gamma, Senior School, Lower & Upper Transitus, and Lower Sixth Form||*|
* You may purchase these items from any independent retailer of your choice.
Pollyanna are offering all Small School parents 10% off leather school shoes for the whole year their child is in Small School.
Other suggested Retailers: Trotters, Peter Jones, Harrods
Games Clothes & Sports Equipment
Sports Kit is compulsory for children in Senior School, Transitus and Sixth Form for their once a week full afternoon of sport, Friday afternoon Sports Clubs and for fixtures with other schools.
Children in Upper School and below do not need Sports Kit.
All Year Sports Uniform
|Splash Top||Maroon||Waterproof, with Red and Blue Stripes||From £39.50||B&E|
|Splash Bottoms||Maroon||Waterproof, with Red and Blue Stripes||From £31.95||B&E|
|Skort||Maroon||Sports Skirt with integral Lycra Shorts, and Red and Blue Stripes – Girls||From £26.95||B&E|
|Shorts||Maroon||With Red and Blue Stripes – Boys||From £14.95||B&E|
|Sports Socks||Maroon||Long Knee Length||From £8.00||B&E|
|Sweat Top||Maroon||With Red and Blue Stripes – Optional||From £39.50||B&E|
Winter Sports Uniform
|Polo Shirt||Maroon||Long Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes – Girls||From £26.95||B&E|
|Reversible Games Top||Maroon||Long Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes – Boys||From £24.95||B&E|
Summer Sports Uniform
|Polo Shirt||Maroon||Short Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes – Girls||From £21.95||B&E|
The school provides additional games clothing items where necessary, which are washed after each use by the school. All sports equipment is provided by the school.
The school provides swimming trunks/costumes and towels, which are washed after each use by the school. The only exception is Small School, where children MUST provide their own towel.
|Small School Bag||Green||Back Pack for Small and Lower School||£15.00||Hill House|
|Large School Bag||Green||Back Pack for Middle School onwards||£30.00||Hill House|
|Sports Kit Bag||Duffel Bag for Senior School, Transitus and Sixth Form||£10.00||Hill House|
|Sports Shoe Bag||Soft Draw String Bag for Sports Shoes||£5.00||Hill House|
- Must be tucked in at all times in classroom lessons and whilst walking in the street.
- To be worn UNDER the polo shirt, simply turned over once to form a flat top edge.
- Compulsory for Middle School and above but are NOT required by Small & Lower School.
- Worn every day and always when out in the street, on school trips and for Assembly.
- Should be worn over the knee band of the breeches.
- All boys and girls are expected to keep their hair tidy.
- Boys’ hair must not touch the collar.
- Girls’ hair, if longer than shoulder length, must be tied back. Hair bands, ribbons etc. must be in school colours of brown, rust or gold.
- No jewelry may be worn. Children with pierced ears may wear a plain stud only.
- Please ensure that each and every uniform item is clearly labeled with your child’s name, including shoes.
All uniform items
Secondhand sales are held in Cadogan Gardens on the second Tuesday of each month. All profits are donated to charity.
N.B. All new uniform items may only be bought from Billings & Edmonds, who are the sole official supplier. No other retailer/business has been authorised to sell new Hill House School Uniforms.