The school’s founders Colonel and Mrs Townend wanted something different from the conventional school uniforms of the 1950’s. Mrs Townend said “a grey uniform produces grey minds”. The uniform has developed over the school’s history. It has been designed to be all purpose and suitable for active wear. Children can move from the classroom to the sports field without having to change clothes. The iconic knee-breeches were modelled on the Colonel’s climbing breeches and the colour of the ‘gold’ jumper comes from the Achilles Athletics Club, Oxford University, of which he was President.
New uniform items are supplied by Billings & Edmonds, the school’s official retailer. The prices listed below are correct as of January 2022.
Billings & Edmonds Service
- In store: Chiswick Store, 112 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 1PU (Monday to Friday 9.30am–5.30pm, Saturday 9.00am–5.00pm).
- Telephone: Telephone the Chiswick store with your orders or queries on 020 8742 0201.
- Email: Any queries and orders can made by emailing the Chiswick store directly.
- Website: All items of uniform and sportswear may be purchased online. Prices and garment information are available on the Billings & Edmonds website.
- Collect at Hill House: Either order online and select appropriate delivery option or telephone the Chiswick store with your order and this will then be delivered to Hill House for you to collect.
- In store by appointment: An appointment service for new children is offered in the Chiswick store and appointments can be booked online via the Billings & Edmonds website.
Uniform Open Days
Billings & Edmonds, in conjunction with Hill House, will hold School Uniform Open Days at Founders’ Hall, 2 Radnor Walk, London, SW3 4BN. This is an opportunity to meet the B&E team, have a fitting and purchase any new uniform items.
Saturday 14 October 2023, 10.30am–2.00pm – This day is open to all parents. All items of school uniform and sports kit will be available.
For a fitting please book a Timed Slot using this link. It will also be possible to drop in. Please email the Chiswick shop or call them on 020 8742 0201 with any queries. Please note that there may be a reduced service in store on this day.
All Year Uniform Items
|Waxed Jacket||Brown/Brown Lining||Waterproof. Worn to and from school.||From £90.00||B&E|
|Rain Jacket||Brown/Brown Lining||Waterproof. Worn to and from school.||From £37.50||B&E|
|Sweater||Gold||Wool Open Knit. Worn in the street and at games.||From £52.50||B&E|
|Pullover – Sleeveless||Beige, with Rust Trim||Worn in school for lessons||From £53.00||B&E|
|Cravat||Gold/Rust||Compulsory for Middle School and above. Not required for Small & Lower School. Worn every day, always when out in the street. Worn for General Assembly on Wednesday morning.||£13.95||B&E|
|Belt||Yellow/Brown||Worn by all children with breeches and shorts||From £6.95||B&E|
|Polo Shirt||Beige, with Rust Trim||Long Sleeve||£18.00||B&E|
|Breeches||Rust||Corduroy, Knee Length for Boys & Girls||From £49.50||B&E|
|Culottes||Rust||Corduroy – Girls alternative to Breeches||From £39.95||B&E|
|Pinafore Dress||Rust||Corduroy – Girls alternative to Breeches (Small, Lower & Middle Schools only)||From £51.50||B&E|
|Socks||Beige, with Rust Trim||Long – Cotton rich||£9.00||B&E|
|Tights||Beige||May only be worn with the Pinafore Dress or Culottes||£11.50 (2 pairs)||B&E|
Additional Winter Uniform
|Bobble Hat||Gold, with Rust Trim||Wool mix – Worn in Small, Lower and Middle School||£15.95||B&E|
|Hat||Gold, with Rust Trim||Wool mix – An alternative for Upper School and above||£13.95||B&E|
|Scarf||Gold, Rust & Beige||Striped – Wool mix||£21.50||B&E|
|Polo Shirt||Beige||Short Sleeves, with Rust Trim||£17.00||B&E|
|Shorts||Rust||Knee length for Boys & Girls||From £32.50||B&E|
|Skirts||Rust||Girls alternative to Shorts||From £33.00||B&E|
|Socks||Beige||Ankle, with Rust Trim – Cotton rich||£6.80||B&E|
|Shoes||Brown (Dark Tan, Chestnut)||Regular smooth polishable leather. Must have black or dark brown Rubber Soles and fasten with Laces or a Buckle or for younger children with Velcro. The following styles are NOT allowed: shoes in light brown or light tan, suede, ankle boots, deck/boat shoes, loafers, trainer style shoes||*|
|Gym Shoes||Black or White||Plimsolls, simple slip-on style for Small, Lower & Middle Schools||*|
|Trainers||White||Middle School and above||*|
|Tennis Shoes||White||With a non marking sole. For Upper School Alpha & Beta, Transitus, Senior School and Lower Sixth Form||*|
* You may purchase these items from any independent retailer of your choice.
Suggested Retailers: Trotters, Step2wo at Harvey Nichols, Harrods
Games Clothes & Sports Equipment
Sports Kit is compulsory for children inTransitus, Senior School and Sixth Form for their once a week full afternoon of sport, Friday afternoon Sports Clubs and for fixtures with other schools.
Children in Upper School and below do not need Sports Kit.
All Year Sports Uniform
|Splash Top||Maroon||Waterproof, with Red and Blue Stripes||From £39.50||B&E|
|Splash Bottoms||Maroon||Waterproof, with Red and Blue Stripes||From £28.95||B&E|
|Skort||Maroon||Sports Skirt with integral Lycra Shorts, and Red and Blue Stripes – Girls||From £26.95||B&E|
|Shorts||Maroon||With Red and Blue Stripes – Boys||From £14.95||B&E|
|Sports Socks||Maroon||Long Knee Length||From £8.00||B&E|
|Sweat Top||Maroon||With Red and Blue Stripes – Optional||From £39.50||B&E|
Winter Sports Uniform
|Polo Shirt||Maroon||Long Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes – Hockey||From £26.95||B&E|
|Reversible Games Top||Maroon||Long Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes – Rugby||From £24.95||B&E|
Summer Sports Uniform
|Polo Shirt||White||Short Sleeves, with Red and Blue Stripes||From £21.95||B&E|
The school provides additional games clothing items where necessary, which are washed after each use by the school. All sports equipment is provided by the school.
The school provides swimming trunks/costumes and towels, which are washed after each use by the school. The only exception is Small School, where children MUST provide their own towel.
|Small School Bag||Green||Back Pack for Small and Lower School||£15.00||Hill House|
|Medium/Large School Bag||Green||Back Pack for Middle School onwards||£35.00/£40.00||Hill House|
|Sports Kit Bag||House colour||Duffel Bag for Senior School, Transitus and Sixth Form||£10.00||Hill House|
|Sports Shoe Bag||House colour||Soft Draw String Bag for Sports Shoes||£5.00||Hill House|
- Must be tucked in at all times in classroom lessons and whilst walking in the street.
- To be worn UNDER the polo shirt, simply turned over once to form a flat top edge.
- Compulsory for Middle School and above but are NOT required by Small & Lower School.
- Worn every day and always when out in the street, on school trips and for Assembly.
- Should be worn over the knee band of the breeches.
- All boys and girls are expected to keep their hair tidy.
- Hair must not touch the collar.
- Longer hair must be tied back. Hair bands, ribbons, accessories etc. must be in school colours of brown, rust or gold.
- Hair may not be dyed.
- No jewellery may be worn. Children with pierced ears may wear a plain stud only.
- Please ensure that each and every uniform item is clearly labeled with your child’s name, including shoes.
All uniform items
Secondhand sales are held regularly through the year in Founders’ Hall. All profits are donated to charity. The next sale will be on Saturday 2 September, 10am - 1pm.
N.B. All new uniform items may only be bought from Billings & Edmonds, who are the sole official supplier. No other retailer/business has been authorised to sell new Hill House School Uniforms.